Thursday, March 7, 2013

A DELICIOUS CHICKASAW FIRST NATION MEAL (TANSHPASHOFA)

Pashofa
Tanshpashofa (Pashofa corn, Pork Loin Roast or other bone-in pork and bacon bits)
 
YO! So many delicious eats exist in this beautiful world, yet few meals I have had the previlage to taste are made from recipies passed down from one generation to another. A long time ago I had the pleasure to meet a Chickasaw First Nation family who invited me to their home for dinner and had the pleasure to experience a tradional meal.

 
PashofaCorn
Pashofa Corn
 
To my surprise the dinner plate was a combination of a traditional corn called Pashofa, bacon and pork loin roast. I was amazed by the simplicity yet explosion of flavors from the combination of the corn, roast and bacon bits.  So if you’re ever in the mood for a Traditional Chickasaw First Nation meal you can make your own, if you cannot find Pashofa Corn you can use regular corn. A delicious meal, made from a families Native American heritage.

Below is a link to a website I found which has the closes recipe to the Tanshpashofa I experience, enjoy! :)
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Danny, I am presenting a paper on 17th and 18th Century Chickasaw foodways at the Southeastern Archaeological Conference in Tampa. You take such beautiful pictures of food! I was wondering if I could have your permission to show your picture of Pishofa, just as a visual during the presentation, not for publication. Thanks for your blog, Kim Wescott, PhD Candidate, Dept. of Anthro, University of South Carolina (wescotka@email.sc.edu)

    ReplyDelete